Lilacs and the Flatirons
Lilacs and the Flatirons, Boulder Mountain Parks, Colorado
The citizens of Boulder have long prized their cities’ spectacular western skyline, particularly the uplifted sandstone formations known as the Flatirons. More than a century ago, in 1898, the city bought the Batchelder property for the use of the Chautauqua Association, whose original purpose was to provide refreshing summer-school classes for teachers. In 1967 Boulder became the first city in the nation to tax itself for the purpose of preserving open space. In the past, Chautauqua Meadow was used as pasture land, a golf course, and a ski area complete with rope tow. Today, restored to its natural state, it offers archetypal views of the Flatirons. These lilacs, planted by the city near the entrance to Chautauqua Park, form a lush foreground for this classic perspective on Boulder’s beloved natural landmarks.